Tuesday 4 September 2012

Behind Closed Doors

Continuing with my streamlining mission, this weekend I attacked my ‘lotions and potions’ cupboard. This space had originally been designed to hold all our toiletries, but had recently become a dumping ground for pretty much anything we could squeeze into it including ornaments, belts, a wire pig(?) and an oil burner.

Organizing toiletries Sprout's House

It also contained some seriously old creams and cosmetics some bought before Sprout’s arrival in our lives. Having done some research, I decided that an awful lot of it would have to be binned as most websites recommended that the maximum amount of time you should keep a product is 1 year!!

Here’s the low down:

Product
Expiry Date
Mascara
3 months
Eye gels and creams
3 months
Eye shadows and liners
3-6 months
Foundations(cream and liquid)
3 months
Concealers
6 months
Face creams and lotions
6 months
Toners
1 year
Lipsticks
1 year
Powders (pressed and loose)
1 year
Face wash
1 year
Perfume and Fragrances
1 year

So let the purge commence..........

Organizing toiletries Sprout's House

I wish I could say that I threw out more than I kept and the basket on the left was heading for the bin, but this was actually the KEEP pile! However, I did get rid of some products that were at least 3 years old, and also some items that shouldn’t have even been in the cupboard including a plug timer, a variety of jewellery boxes and some medicines.

Organizing toiletries Sprout's House

Then I had a good old sort out......

Organizing toiletries Sprout's House

I grouped what was left into several categories including hair care, skin care, vitamins, deodorants and perfumes. This was a great exercise as it meant I could have a good look at what I actually I had, and as it turned out this included 7 deodorants, 6 bottles of lens solution, 4 or 5 moisturising creams and a million and one kirby grips. Lesson learnt - no more buying deodorant for a while!!

Now for the most important bit! Putting it all back in the cupboard!

Organizing toiletries Sprout's HouseOrganizing toiletries Sprout's House

I tried to keep each group of items together, so when I open the cupboard, in future, it will be easy to see what I’ve got! I also re-purposed a mug to hold all my nail related products, a cotton bud container to house all my stray contact lenses and a wicker pot for all those rogue kirby grips!

A little bit of before and after action......

Organizing toiletries Sprout's HouseOrganizing toiletries Sprout's House

So go on, have a riffle through your toiletries and throw out the ones that have been hanging around for ages!!


Sprout’s House
           xox

No comments:

Post a Comment