Wednesday, 4 June 2014

DIY Beach Bag Tutorial

Who's looking forward to going to the beach this summer? How about making a your own personalised beach bag?


Disclaimer: I received free products in return for this post! All opinions are my own.
Thanks so much to Fantastic Ribbons for supplying me with a gorgeous selection of buttons and a roll of grosgrain ribbon.

I don't know about you, but here at Sprout's House we are counting down the days until we can feel the sand between our toes, build some sandcastles and just generally catch some rays. So what better way to get in the mood than make a beach bag - perfect to carry all those beach essentials!

Equipment:
selection of buttons - my packet contained about 150 buttons in a range of sizes, patterns and colours. 

3m of ribbon - I used a roll of Peacock Blue Side Stitched Grosgrain ribbon.


1 canvas tote bag
PVA glue and small brush
selection of thread to match your buttons
pins
needle
A4 paper

1. Open Word, type your chosen initial. Choose your font and enlarge the letter until it fills the page. Print out.


(I narrowed it down to the three fonts above before choosing the middle one. 
From left to right ~ Contribute - Free Version size 560 Bold; Harrington size 840 Bold; Lucida Calligraphy size 560 Bold)

2. Cut out the inside of the letter so that you're just left with  an outline.


3. Place the outline on your bag. Choose the buttons you're going to use and arrange them inside the letter.


4. Carefully lift away the outline. Adjust the buttons if you need to and then start gluing on to the bag. (Don't worry too much about the buttons being completely secure as this is just a temporary measure until they can be sewn in place.)

5. Sew the buttons on. I used coordinating thread, but do whatever you fancy.

6. The next step is to pin the ribbon to the top and bottom of the bag. Decide where you're going to place your ribbon - I left a centimetre gap between the ribbon at the top of the bag, but just matched the ribbon up with the seam at the bottom of the bag. The beauty of this side-stitched grosgrain ribbon is that you can use the side-stitching to help disguise where you have sewn it to the bag.


7. Thread your needle with white thread and knot the end. In position A, push your needle through the ribbon from back to front so that it comes out in position B at the end of one of the side-stitches. Pull the thread through until the knot sits on the back of the ribbon. Tuck any excess thread behind the ribbon so it is hidden.

8. Push the needle back through the ribbon at the other end of the side-stitch (position C) and pick up a little bit of the canvas material before exiting at the beginning of the next side-stitch (position D). Your stitches should be completely hidden by the white stitching on the ribbon.

9.Repeat until both edges of the ribbon are securely attached to the bag. To ensure that the ribbon does not fray fold the end over before stitching into place. Repeat the process for the bottom section of ribbon. 

10. Fill your bag and head to the beach!



How are you preparing for Summer? 
Why not pop over to Fantastic Ribbons for some more inspiration?


Sprout’s House
  xox

Pinterest Pinterest TwitterGoogle+BloglovinEmail

Linking up at ~
It's So Very Cheri, The Foley Fam, Dear Creatives, Natasha in Oz, Be Different Act Normal, Pam's Party and Practical Tips, Made from Pinterest, Six Sisters Stuff, Reasons to Skip the Housework, Sewlicious Home Decor, Claire Justine, I Should Be Mopping The Floor, Grace Langdon, A Pinch of Joy, Sew Can Do, Tumbleweed Contessa, Keeping it Simple, Huckleberry Love, Mad In Crafts, Create with Joy, Creating My Way to Success, My Pinterventures, Ladybug Blessings, Mandy's Recipe Box, The Recipe Critic, Table For Seven, Cornerstone Confessions, A Peek Into My Paradise, Kathe With An E, Lil' Mrs Tori, Lou Lou Girls, Make Bake Create, Lady Behind the Curtain, Ginger Snap Crafts, This Silly Gal's Life, White Lights on Wednesday, Snap Creativity, French Press, Oh My Creative, Housewives of Riverton, DIY Dreamer, Super Busy Mum, Epic Mommy Adventures, Lamberts Lately, Creative Princess, A Delightsome Life, A Handful of Everything, Live Laugh Rowe, Katherine's Corner, Bloom Designs, Five Little Chefs, All Things with Purpose, Artsy Fartsy Mama, Sweet Bella Roos, The Pin Junkie, Craft Dictator, Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons, Sincerely Paula, My Turn For Us, Redoux Interiors, Prototype Mama, Create Bake Make, Practically Functional

12 comments:

  1. This is super cute! I love the buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is "sew" cute. I love using buttons as embellishments. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely, and I am always envious of anyone who is creative!

    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bag!!! Love it and the cute buttons detail! Thanks for sharing!
    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ana, Thanks for the comment. Popping over to look at your blog now. xox

      Delete
  5. I love all the pretty touches you put on your beach bag. Thanks for sharing at the party @DearCreatives Hope to see you again this week. Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I <3 your bag and what a great button recycle! Pinning and new follow:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stopped by to let you know that I featured this on my Round Tuit post this week!
    A Round Tuit 218
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be perfect for a reusable grocery bag! I would love for you to share a project on my Meet Up Monday Blog Party!
    http://jennymaire.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea! I love this! Pinned. We truly love having you be a part of our party. I hope you will get a chance to stop by tonight at 7 pm. It's not a party without you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete