Friday 16 August 2013

Simple DIY {Memory} Boxes

It’s Friday – the weekend is within touching distance and what better way to end the week than with a post that will add a bit of creativity to your day.

Recently, one of my oldest friends added another little bambino to her brood one of whom is my godson son.  With two sons already I knew she probably had all the baby paraphernalia she needed so I wanted to give Samuel a gift they were unlikely to have. 

Cue an ordinary wooden box……..

A couple of coats of paint inside and outside later....



For this project, I decided to experiment with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint as you can dive straight in without priming!

The colours that I used were Louis Blue and Paloma

After that, came the time consuming part!  Using Word, I typed Samuel into a text box and then experimented with different fonts to see which one I liked/worked the best. (I ended up using Constantia). I also added a text effect called ‘stop’ which arranges the letters so the word has an oval shape.

Once this was done, I printed it out, turned over the piece of paper and shaded in the letters on the wrong side.  

Then I lightly taped the paper on to the box in the exact position that I wanted before drawing around each of the letters.  



This transferred the letters on to the lid of the box – I did have draw around them freehand just to make them a bit darker.


Then I painted each letter individually.  This definitely took the most time although I found once I had diluted the paint it flowed much more easily. 


After a light sanding, I waxed the entire box inside and out using Annie Sloan Soft Wax(Clear) to give it some protection from small paws!!


I hope I have inspired you to add a little creativity to your life this weekend. 
Let me know what you get up to.

Sprout’s House
           xox

No comments:

Post a Comment