Friday 24 August 2012

Another First…


After launching Sprout’s House with my first post it’s time to get a bit more technical and create a post that includes photos too! So here goes….

I was genuinely quite shocked to get my first comment so quickly (Thanks Kate!!) as I had imagined that I would be blogging away for quite some time before anyone took much notice. So keep them coming and I’ll do my best to reply.

For those that didn’t see it, my first comment was written by Kate and she suggested that I start by doing a ‘cleanse’.

 ‘I would start sorting and doing a 'cleanse' so you take the minimum junk. Pack a box and be really virgo-like by making a list of what's in it. Mark on the box a brief description and mark clearly which room you want the removal people to put it in on your moving day, rather than them dumping it all in one room. If you want to take it a stage further you could even number the box so you can reference it to the contents list.

Think of it as a cleansing ritual, it may also keep you occupied so there is less time to fret on the other aspects of moving house.

About a month ago, I spent a morning ‘cleansing’ my wardrobes and at the time I congratulated myself on my ruthlessness. However, my enthusiasm soon dried up!

So today marked the start of the ‘cleanse’ - round 2. I decided to start small with Sprout’s changing table which to be frank was quite a mess.

Organizing a changing table Sprout's House

Organising a changing table Sprout's House

We’ve all read those articles where it recommends that you use 3 containers so you can divide your things into KEEP, CHARITY SHOP and BIN. But has anyone actually used this method? I for one have never bothered so I thought I’d give it a go.

Organising a changing table Sprout's House

Three Ikea wastepaper baskets later and I had my containers ready for the ‘cleansing experience’ to take place. I started by emptying each shelf in turn and throwing the contents in the appropriate basket. 

Organising a changing table Sprout's House

So simple…… 

Organising a changing table Sprout's House

And yet......in this instance my KEEP basket was ginormous, the CHARITY SHOP bin contained precisely 2 items (a belt and a whistle), and the BIN basket had a few out of date medicines in it. So it was a bit of a fail in terms of throwing things out, but I did streamline what was kept in the changing table. Most of the KEEP basket consisted of clothes Sprout had grown out of so I was able to store those with her other old clothes......And now it looks pretty organised and most importantly cleansed!!


Organising a changing table Sprout's House

Another unexpected bonus of today’s exercise has been that I ended up with a whole basket free so I was able to store some of Sprout’s books at the front and some of her bulkier jumpers at the back.

Organising a changing table Sprout's House

A bit of before and after action! And now I’m on track to continue cleansing the rest of my house. What about you? Do you feel like having a ‘mini-cleanse’ over the bank holiday weekend? Let me know how you get on!

Sprout’s House
           xox




No comments:

Post a Comment